- Start the day with an Orange Pecan Waffle or a Turmeric Raspberry Almond Smoothie, and the Vitamin E found in the nuts will work to protect vulnerable brain fat (plus the fiber keeps you satisfied until lunch).
- Enjoy Garlic Butter Shrimp over Zucchini Noodles and Mussels with Garlicky Kale Ribbons and Artichokes, and the zinc and magnesium from the seafood will help stimulate the growth of new brain cells.
- Want to slow down your brain’s aging process? Indulge with a cup of Turmeric Cinnamon Hot Chocolate, and the flavanols found in chocolate both increase blood flow to the brain and help fight age-related memory decline.
You may not realize it, but your body has an amazing ability to heal itself after a serious injury or illness. Although medicine has come a long way, and should not be takin for granted, it’s important to recognize and take responsibility for our part in recovery. If you are recovering from an illness, a severe injury or just trying to maintain a healthy immune system, it would be in your best interest to observe these health truths.
- Food is Medicine: Most of us have felt that swell of pride whenwe reach around the box of donuts and grab a piece of fruit instead, but that momentary feeling of elation often fades by dinner time as we find ourselves reaching for that second helping of buttery mashed potatoes, or a heaping pile of cheesy pasta. Hungry yet? The truth is, our brains react to food with the same addictive stimulation as it would with any other drug. It doesn’t help that portions are larger than ever, and that processed, feel good treats are more accessible than they have ever been. On top of the temptation to indulge, is the confusion; with every diet fad in the book being thrown around at us from all angles. It can become overwhelming to decipher what approach to take when it comes to a healthy diet. Our mantra? Keep it simple. Say no to carb heavy, processed foods that will drain your energy and leave you feeling lethargic. Say yes to whole fruits and vegetables and lean proteins, and most importantly, enjoy the food you eat! Branch out with some new recipes that abide by these principles, but still leave your mouth watering.
- Sleep Offers So Much More Than Beauty: Your body can cope without food for about a month, without water for up to a week, but sleep? Your body will start shutting down after 48 hours of sleep deprivation. http://www.everydayhealth.com/conditions/what-happens-when-you-dont-sleep-days/ Sleep benefits every aspect of our health, both physically and emotionally, from your heart health, mental stability, and weight control. So go ahead, hit that snooze button one more time, skip that last episode on Netflix, and hit the sack an extra hour early- your body will thank you!
- Exercise Your Way to Health: Get moving! Culturally we tend to complicate this concept, but the simple truth is this; move more. That’s it! It doesn’t take expensive gym memberships, hours of intense weight lifting, or fancy gadgets to “exercise”. Find what works best for you, your budget, and your lifestyle. For me, it’s as simple as taking my dog on a 30-minute walk, or heading to the YMCA for a group yoga class. It gets your blood flowing while simultaneously moving toxins out of your body, and pumping endorphins back through your system. Maybe you’d be more comfortable bicycling through nature, tuning into your favorite in home work out routine, or joining a kick boxing club. However you choose to make exercise your own, own it! The benefits to your health are endless.
At Make People Better, we are passionate about enabling people to take control of their own health. Every day we have opportunities to improve our health, and one step at a time we want to inspire your journey! Don’t forget, the Clinical Strength Hydration® and Intestinal Immune support found in re:iimmune® is the perfect accompaniment to your healthy lifestyle. Get better, better!